News & Insights
Amazon’s Organic Rank Algorithm
The most important aspect of selling on Amazon is understanding how Amazon rankings work. With higher rankings, products are prioritized higher in searches, leading to more views and greater purchasing likelihood. Amazon rankings function via a sophisticated SEO algorithm, often called A9. The algorithm and its behaviors are determined by a number of direct and indirect factors including:
- Availability – Is your product in stock? The second your item becomes out of stock, it will drop out of search rankings.
- Price – Is your product competitively priced? Maintaining Manufacturer Advertised Price (MAP), and enforcing those who break it, will make sure your item stays relevant.
- Text Relevancy (Keyword Optimization) – Is your product easily searchable? Shoppers need to be able to find your item quickly. Listings should have appropriate keywords, and utilize a “long-tail” title that maximizes upon appropriate search terms.
- Sales Velocity – Is your product selling? The more items you sell, the more items you will sell. As items trend, they will rank higher in searches.
- Fulfillment Type (FBA or FBM) – Is your product fulfilled by Amazon or by Merchant? The power of Prime is hard to ignore. Amazon force ranks items that are prime eligible, and users are more inclined to select 2-day free shipping.
- Reviews – Is your product well received? Poorly reviewed products are seldom purchased. Listings with higher reviews (3/5 stars and up), are more likely to be purchased, resulting in higher sales velocity.
- Images – Is your product represented well? Images have a huge influence on a shopper’s decision to buy. Great looking, high quality images, help customers feel confident in their purchase.
- EBC/A+ Content (Enhanced Brand Content) – Is your product listing optimized? Rich pictures, interactive information, links. and bulleted features, all become available with EBC and A+ Content. Conversion rates are shown to increase by as much as 50% with these content optimizations.
- Advertising (Amazon Sponsored Ads) – Is your product targeting customers? Increase sales velocity and sales rank through Amazon Sponsored Ads that help put your product in front of interested customers.
- Promotions – Is there incentive to buy your product? Bundles, discounts, and deals are a great way to drive sales.
Which factors do you need help with?
Get your free Amazon Assessment today!
More Resources And Articles
Four Areas to Focus Amazon Demand Planning Efforts
Create a Winning Amazon Pricing Strategy
Understanding and Implementing Amazon Inventory Forecasting Strategies
Put Amazon Sponsored Display Audiences to Work for Your Brand
Build Better Amazon Listings with A/B Testing
Optimize Your Amazon Listings for Growth
6 Ways to Reduce Amazon PPC Costs
An Amazon Seller’s Guide to Rebranding
Learn more about how we can help your Amazon business succeed!
- 700 West Pete Rose Way, Suite 540, Cincinnati, OH 45203