Amazon businesses often turn to the latest and most innovative strategies in their quest to attract new customers and boost sales. Among the most popular tactics in recent years is the use of captivating videos integrated into product listings and Amazon Storefronts. When done effectively, many brands experience higher conversion rates and a healthier Amazon seller account with increased customer satisfaction and more growth.
But here’s the catch: Great product videos aren’t as simple as shooting quick footage with a smartphone. The true impact of video in an e-commerce marketplace lies in crafting a solid strategy, mastering Amazon’s product video guidelines, and flawlessly executing your plan with total confidence. With proper time and effort, you can use video to strengthen your brand and achieve remarkable results.
Give your Amazon product videos a technical advantage
Regardless of your goal for your Amazon product video, some tactics can help brands create compelling Amazon product videos on Amazon. With advancements in video technology, brands can now produce high-quality videos in-house, even on a tight budget. However, it’s worth considering bringing in an experienced team to handle scripting, production, lighting, voiceovers, and editing, as this investment often pays off in terms of time and meeting expectations.
Now, if you decide to go the DIY route, there are some tried-and-true video production tactics you should keep in mind.
Aim to keep your videos concise, typically under a minute whenever possible, and less than 45 seconds if you plan to use them in Sponsored Brand Video ads. And when planning your video, put yourself in the shoes of a shopper and make sure you address the questions they might have. Think about what information and visuals will be most helpful and engaging for them.
While phone cameras can capture excellent video quality, a professional product video will benefit from stable and smooth footage achieved using a stand. Additionally, clear and crisp audio can make a significant difference, so consider investing in an external microphone to ensure high-quality sound. Natural light can be a cost-effective alternative to studio lighting, but your product must look great on the screen regardless of the setup.
Adding on-screen text during post-production can provide additional value to your product video, even if watched without sound. If there’s little need for voiceover audio to describe or support your product, adding music can be an excellent way to increase the video’s appeal. But remember, royalty-free tracks are likely your best and most cost-effective option.
Avoid publishing hurdles when your video is complete
Once your product video is ready, it’s time to upload it to Amazon for video review. This part is relatively easy for brands familiar with Amazon Seller Central and willing to comply with the Amazon product video guidelines. The most important recommendation is to be sure the video file format is either MOV or MP4 and keep the file size below 5GB for optimal performance.
In most cases, a 16:9 aspect ratio with a resolution of at least 1280 x 720 px with a minimum frame rate of 15 FPS will be the most suitable dimensions and the least likely format to cause problems when uploading. Besides the MP4 and MOV formats recommended above, the video requirements on Amazon allow other file formats, including 3GP, AAC, AVI, FLV, and MPEG-2, are acceptable but less common. The audio bit rate, which impacts quality, should be at least 128 kbps, and similarly, a sample rate of 44 kHz or higher is expected. Videos can be up to 15 minutes long, but it’s unlikely any shopper will want to engage with a video of that length.
While Amazon does auto-select a frame to serve as the preview image, or thumbnail, for your video, it may not be the best representation of your product. It’s best to choose your own thumbnail image or upload a specifically-designed static image to serve as the video preview.
Much like your product listing, giving your Amazon product video an engaging title featuring strategic keywords is important. You will also need to identify the Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) that the video is promoting so that it is connected to the appropriate product listing.
The power of Amazon product videos
Unlocking the power of product videos on Amazon goes beyond just the marketplace itself. These captivating assets hold immense value for direct-to-consumer websites, social media campaigns, and customer service initiatives. But what makes product videos truly remarkable on Amazon is their ability to fuel listing performance and sway purchasing decisions in your favor.
While listing copy and images are key, a well-crafted video provides a comprehensive view of the product more efficiently. Prospective buyers have limited time to spend on each listing, and a video can quickly highlight critical features, enticing even the most impatient shoppers. Moreover, seeing a person interact with or use the product on video adds valuable context that cannot be replicated through words or still images.
Adding captivating videos to your product listings can bolster your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts. By capturing and holding the attention of shoppers, videos increase the likelihood of conversions and extend the duration of their stay on your page.
Moreover, they provide an additional opportunity to seamlessly weave relevant keywords into your Amazon product listing, further optimizing your chances of success. Embracing videos can also help manage expectations, ultimately minimizing the occurrence of negative reviews. With these remarkable advantages working harmoniously, your product’s ranking on Amazon’s vast platform is poised to climb.
Of course, the primary goal of incorporating product videos into your Amazon listing is to jumpstart your conversions. Videos can be tailored to overcome any barriers hindering your sales. A top-notch product video also strengthens your reputation as a dedicated seller who goes the extra mile to connect with customers and guarantees product satisfaction. Amazon product videos are an effective way to address the concerns of dissatisfied customers in the past and set appropriate expectations for new buyers.
Choose the best product videos style for your Amazon listing
There’s no question that content is crucial for any Amazon business. That’s why it’s essential to understand the value of Amazon A+ Content. It’s your chance to provide fantastic product details for your product listing pages, integrating high-quality images, comparison charts, and more.
However, before you can join the countless Amazon sellers who are already creating effective Amazon product videos on Amazon to promote their products, you’ll need to decide what types of videos make sense for your brand and will be most engaging for your audience.
- Showcase product features – A product highlight video prioritizes the product’s features. They are among the most simple and effective types of product videos. Typically, they display the product from every angle and in use. Think of this as a video version of the key features from your listing.
- Provide a how-to video – A how-to video is often similar to one showcasing a product’s features in that it is short and to the point. However, beyond just demonstrating the product in use, these explainer videos can be helpful when a product is complicated to use or designed to aid in completing a task. They can feature step-by-step instructions or be a tutorial on a relevant topic that includes the product in part of the process.
- Strengthen your brand – Despite what some Amazon sellers may fear, reaching the hundreds of millions of shoppers who use the marketplace does not have to come at the cost of sacrificing your brand. In fact, the video feature of a listing is one of several ways a seller can reinforce their brand identity on Amazon. Creating a brand or lifestyle video can tell a product’s story and reach the customers most likely to be interested. These Amazon videos shift the attention to the brand’s personality and the experience users can expect. They may share your company mission or attempt to create a connection with shoppers.
- Capitalize on the unboxing trend – With the evolution of social media and the increasing ease of video production, product unboxing videos have become a staple of the internet. Often hosted by consumers and influencers on their personal channels, these videos feature products being removed from their original packaging and initial impressions of the item. This type of product video can be beneficial for products that require assembly or feature multiple accessories. Additionally, brand owners can consider an unboxing video on Amazon to set expectations and avoid buyer confusion.
- Offer a comparison – If a product stacks up well against a popular competitor, a comparison product video could be the fastest route to more sales. Rather than focusing on the product’s features and functionality alone, these videos do so in comparison to similar products. Be warned that creating a comparison video must be done carefully and deliberately to avoid violating Amazon’s policies against denigrating other brands. Don’t mention any other company’s products by name, and be sure to include evidence for any claims you make. It’s best to focus on your product’s positive aspects than spend too much time on negativity toward the competitor.
Amazon Product Video Pitfalls
Knowing what factors create successful Amazon video content is essential, but don’t overlook the mistakes that can derail even the best intentions. As with most parts of being an Amazon seller, there are important rules to follow. Unfortunately, stepping outside these guidelines can cost you time and money by delaying the time it takes to add your video or forcing you to start from scratch.
You will need to be the brand owner of any product you are trying to feature in a video, and access to the video option will require completing the Amazon Brand Registry process. Don’t start your video-planning process until you’ve completed this critical step.
Resist the urge to feature any time-sensitive promotional messaging in your product video. Terms like “limited-time sale” or the inclusion of discount codes will likely prevent your submission from being approved.
Don’t use the video to direct shoppers to your company’s website. Amazon won’t allow a video that lures visitors away from the platform.
Keep the focus on the product you’re attempting to sell. It’s okay to mention competitors, but don’t make defamatory statements. Any direct comparisons must be objective, accurate and backed up with clear evidence to support claims.
Steer clear of health claims, explicit language, politics or any controversial topics. The limitations that apply to your listing copy also apply to videos.
Evaluate the effectiveness of your Amazon product videos
Tracking the performance of product listing videos on Amazon is essential to any successful Amazon marketing strategy. By tracking the performance of a product video, sellers can determine whether they are effectively engaging customers and leading to increased sales.
They can also identify any areas for improvement in their video content or strategy. It provides valuable insights that can help sellers optimize their video content, enhance their marketing strategy, and ultimately boost their sales on Amazon.
Fortunately, Amazon provides sellers with various tools and analytics to track the performance of their product listings, including videos. For instance, sellers can see how many views their videos are getting, how long viewers are watching, and whether viewers click through to the product listing after watching the video.
Sellers can then use this data to iterate and improve their video content and strategy. For example, if a video gets many views but few click-throughs, the seller might decide to make the call-to-action in the video more prominent.
Take action with Amify
Mastering the art of creating captivating product titles, capturing stunning product photography, and scripting persuasive listing videos is usually not an Amazon seller’s primary expertise.
Amify, an all-in-one Amazon partner, can assist if you find yourself overwhelmed by it all. Our team of experts is fully equipped to tackle the demands of listing, optimization, and fulfillment that your business faces. Get in touch with us today to learn more about integrating our skills into your future plans.